Wednesday

Freewrite 10/15/08

Capricious

“If you weren’t so capricious we wouldn’t be in this mess. You know that right?” Steve sighed.

“Don’t throw your vocabulary words at me right now. I don’t want to hear it.” Wanda stated.

“I’m just sayin’, you’re completely unpredictable and it gets you in trouble. Gets us in trouble.”

Steve threw his hands up at their current surroundings. Sitting next to each other, but still separated, Wanda touched the cold metal.

“You’re the one who got in a fight. That was not my fault.”

“Not your fault?!” Steve cried. “You let that drunk fool put his hands all over you. I was trying to get him off you when he swung. What was I supposed to do, just let him hit me?”

Steve kicked the bunk and the passed-out drunk fool belched and rolled over.

Wanda cringed. “He looked a lot cuter on the dancefloor. And after a few shots.”

“Well he ain’t so cute now is he? I said, let’s go to the movies. You said, no, I wanna go out, let’s go line dancing. I know a great place where they don’t ask for ID.” Steve’s voice rose high as he feigned Wanda’s accent. “Great place all right. Great place to get felt up and in a fight. It’s your fault I’m sitting here. My dad is gonna kill me.” Steve dropped his head to his hands.

“Your daddy? I am not worried about your daddy one little bit.”

As if on cue, two disgruntled fathers walked up to the adjoining jail cells. Steve father looked down on him. “You ready to go home young man?”

“Yes, Sir.” Steve said, jumping up. He moved quickly out the sliding cell door.
“See you later.” He said to Wanda over his shoulder as he regained his freedom.

Wanda looked up at the familiar Sheriff’s badge and tears flooded her eyes.

“And you, little girl. You get to spend the night in there.” The Sheriff said.

“Yes, Daddy.”

No comments: