Wednesday

Quote for the Day and Thoughts

We have this mistaken
notion that everybody in the
world has to go to college.
-Katherine Ann Porter
I did not go to college. 1 class at Palomar and two classes through an online school do not a college degree make. At first I was very excited to go back to school and have the flexibility to do it online and at my own time and pace. I learned otherwise.
The straw that really broke the camel's back was the blatant liberal, left-wing negative views compiling the information I had to read, report on and be graded on. Leaning toward the conservative side, I had a difficult time with the material. I would like to finish my schooling, but will have to find an option that will be more time-flexible and not so morally grating.
Also, do I really need a degree? By MSN salary comparison nationwide, I make as much, if not more with benefits and perks, as an executive with a 4 year degree. By Charlotte standards, I am in the MBA/Senior Manager equivalent range. Not meaning to brag, but would a piece of paper REALLY make a difference, salary-wise?
It is the learning that I would benefit from. The opening of worlds and windows. The larger understanding of art, history, psychology, business, economics and philosophy. Much more thought and study will need to be spent on the value of learning, vs. the value of the degree. I hope to say that learning is of much more value and will look for opportunities to take classes that interest me and can hold my attention. Archeology, anthropology, geology and pottery classes would be wonderful. I will look into the local community college and see what's available for Fall.
I hope I never stop learning, or always have the desire to learn. Both work.

No comments: