Thursday

Oreo Cookie, Rest in Peace

Today I lost my best friend of 14 years. She was my confidant, my secret-keeper, my mentor, my welcome wagon, my crying buddy, my cantelope stealer, my daughter, my baby girl, my family. Since I was 16 years old, she had been the only constant in my life. Through all the moves, changes, rearranges, people, places and things; Oreo was with me. Acting as my support, my foundation and my friend when I was alone. I can't even begin to write the memories we shared and what she means to me. There is a hole in my heart that will never be filled the same. She was more my family than most of my real family. She was there for me when no one else in the world was. She would hide with me when I was scared, dance with me when I was happy and keep me company every night as I fell asleep. I have known her by so many names; Oreo, Oreo Cookie, Cookie Monster, Oreo Cookie Stephens Breidenbach, Mammas, Baby Girl, Baby Big Eyes, Cookie.

Oreo Cookie with her milk moustache. She would fight me for my cantelope, and nip at my chin and eyebrows if I slept in too long. She would crawl under the covers and snuggle with me when I (or she) was cold. She would sleep behind my knees and cry at me if I tried to move. She would sit on my lap when she wanted and demand that I pet her and scratch her behind when she wanted. She always got her way (wonder where she learned that from?) She always knew if something was wrong. She was my protector and my comforter. She would dry my tears and give me kisses. She loved me and I knew it. I loved her and she knew it.

Now she is my guardian angel. Watching over me as I sleep.

I will miss you all my life, Baby Girl. Thank you for choosing me to spend your life with. It has been an honor. I will see you again.

Dear Dennis,

I am sending our daughter home to be with you. I trust that you will take very good care of her and show her around. I have never asked anything of you and have been there when you needed me. I am asking this of you now, please take care of our baby girl. She is in your hands now. I will see you both when my time is over. I miss you.

-Emily JoAnn


1 comment:

Brittany said...

Em-
I am so sorry to hear about Oreo. I know how it feels to lose a family pet, your baby. It is so hard. I am so sorry you are going through this. You are in my prayers. I agree, your own pets are like your child. I am so sorry again for your loss!