Sunday

Come Monday, It'll Be Alright (Sing it with me)

Surprisingly I had a rather productive weekend, depsite being gravely ill and on my deathbed coughdramaqueencough. What!
Went home sick on Thursday and sadly missed my pool match, Friday came on a might quicker than expected. Though that may have been the 5-6 shots of NyQuil I had. And the memory foam mattress (side commercial: I highly recommend you invest in this little invention. I can actually sleep through the whole night with it!)
Friday I did make it in to work sometime after 11am, but to no avail. The Fed-Ex I needed did not arrive and I just infected my work area and coworkers for no reason. I did get rid of the box-o-SunChips that had been cruising around with me for, oh, say 2 months. Hey, they were free and I passed on the freeness to my fellow corporate slaves.
Saturday I was a bit on the manic side and hopped out of bed at around 10 am and....DID THE DISHES!!! And laundry! Wow. I even wiped down the counters and scrubbed the stove top and swept the floor! Go me! (For you folks who think that these everyday chores are not an accomplishment, I would like you to remember who is typing. Pat on the back for me!)
D came home from some Scout thing and we ran a couple errands and ended up at a discount furniture store that he heard about on the radio. This place had all the furniture that they have in model homes, so it's fancy stuff but they can't sell it as new. Anyways, we had no goal in mind, just wandering. And there it was...A solid wood, pub height kitchen table with two solid wood chairs. It needed a new coat of finish and the some leveling, but we scooted out of there with a very solid and gorgeous little table and chairs for.....$264 with tax!
D says it might be some fancy Honduran Mahogany wood, it is unlike any wood I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of wood. It had deep reds and oranges mingled in the burls and knots. Like I said, it's gorgeous. We get it home and I smash my thumb between the rail and the table trying to finagle it in the front door. Man Down!
D decided it needed a laquer finish because it was only finished with a penetrating oil, not enough to protect it, so off to Lowe's. We also looked for some bathroom shelves, because I have this odd desire to be organized and not have my things in cardboard boxes (I have yet to achieve this in any home I've ever lived in). Yes on the laquer, negative on the shelves, but I did find a shoe organizer that would be suitable for part of my growing shoe fetish.
Back home and I learn how to finish a table. 320 grit sandpaper and no paw prints. I do the second coat, basically, all by my lonesome (and now it needs another coat bcuz I'm not pro). The fumes are giving me a quasi NyQuil high, so we scoot out again to look for chair pads. Nothing at TJ Maxx, but Bed, Bath and Beyond rings true to their name, once again. Yea on the shelves! Also some cute chair pads with antislip stuff in a burnt umber hue (check your Crayons for a comparison). Placemats on clearance and we are outta there. I would like to say at this point that the last placemats we owned were given to us for our wedding. I myself had never before purchased a placemat, so this was an accomplishment in itself.
Sunday morning and time for church at the glaringly early hour of 9am. Ironically, or not so, my fever spikes and I am listless. Being that I teach 5 rambuncuous 3-year old's in Sunday School, my current state of physical well-being was not conducive to survival. Basically, I ditched. I crawled back into bed and woke up around 10:30a. D, however being the stalwart member of the Lord's true church, went to represent our family. Good man!
I did make it up out of bed and managed to notice the shining sun and warmness outside. I opened every window in the house, let the cats meander into the backyard and did what any marginally sick woman would do on such a beautiful Sunday morning. I painted my toenails. Sparkling Red Comet! Nice!
D came home and guilted my ditching by telling me that everyone asked about me. Hmphf! He is such an amazing chef, he made chicken enchiladas with green sauce from scratch. I helped by grating the cheese. (not so difficult with the fancy pants new food processor I got so I can make salsa with much more ease, but I digress.)
After this scruptious meal, I am determined to put the words "Easy to Assemble" to the test. I open the box with the new bathroom shelves and start pulling out pieces and more pieces and some more pieces. There were also screws and fancy parts and not so fancy parts and, of course, the oh-so-useful-tool, the alan wrench. This bent hexagon of steel is the nemesis of all would be assemblers. It is small and slippery and painful to use. Why don't they just make all the screws Philips-head and say on the box "Requires Philips-head screwdriver to assemble" Honestly, how many people do not have a Philips-head in their house? If not, they shouldn't be trying to assemble anything becasue they lack the basic tools to live by.
Anyways, after much struggle and frustration and dropping the oh-so-useful alan wrench and more than a few screws, I DID IT!! Bathroom Shelves Done! Go me!
I also assembled the, no-tools-required, shoe organizer. Which is now in my closet holding 16 pairs of my shoe fetish. This also means that I got rid of all those shoe boxes from the top shelf in my closet. Now I have more room for my sweaters and hats and the rest of my fetish that did not fit on the organizer. More room leaves only 1 option; must be filled!
All in all, a pretty productive weekend considering my near deathly illness state.
Stay classy San Diego, and thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

Shellee said...

You said ..."and I've seen a lot of wood."

LMAO!!

Raadgep Fam said...

Wow what a weekend! I had to put up a huge shelving unit with one of those handy dandy things, it sucks !I started with the sick thing but mostly I just lost my voice! I am so glad to see you are going to be out shopping again! And money for savings? lol