Thursday

Big Hair Days or The AquaNet Era

Middle school was the time in my life when big hair was all the rage. With mile-high bangs and wings floating over my ears, I proudly walked the halls of Washington Middle School in the stunning metropolis of Vista, CA.. I was rad! My Guess jeans with the zippers at the ankle and flourescent socks and shirts, dang I was a hot 6th grader! Although my hair was short (tramatic story in a bit), I spent most of my early morning layering on the AquaNet. Many of these layers ended up on my curling iron as well (the aroma of burning hairspray still lingers in my memory). My 6th grade yearbook picture shows me proudly sporting a stunning display of 4 inch high bangs curving majestically in crispy wave of brunette locks. Good times, good times.
The time of year all big hair girls dreaded was the inevitable swim practice we all had to be tortured with. Water and hairspray do not mix, but do leave a sparkling layer of oily residue on the pool surface! Some silly girls tried to swim without getting their hair wet. Inevitably some mean pre-pubescent boy would splash them and their dried AquaNet would repolymerize, completely crashing and reforming their waves of stiff bangs and wings. This is never pretty picture. Screaming young girl in a pool, savagely trying to brush her quickly reforming quaffe out of her face in a vain attempt to safe the drenched locks. Many an hour has been spent in front of the locker room mirrors trying to make themselves presentable to the world again.
Moral of the story: If you need hairspray, you are having a bad hair day and should wear a hat.

No comments: