Thursday

I love Ramen

Why is Ramen so good? I love it. I have always loved it. Despite my love for this sodium soaked pasta delight, I will not pay more than $0.10 cents per pack, or 10 for $1 dollar. I will not buy Ramen at it's not sale price of $0.14 cents. I will wait until it goes on sale.
Perhaps it is the thriftiness that was forced upon me when I was a child. My family never had money and we moved alot, so Ramen was a staple in our home. When I moved out on my own and realized how expensive rent is (my parents did a good job at keeping us from being homeless), I sustained myself on Ramen.
I cook Ramen with the noodles intact, I do not break them. I boil the noodles until they are soft, drain out almost all the water, then add the spice packet. I have recently taken up adding frozen mixed vegetables (no lima beans) and a bit of Italian Dressing. I cook the veggies in with the noodles in the water. If I use Italian Dressing, I will not use the entire spice packet as it is too strong.
When I first lived on my own, I was poorer than I could comprehend. Friends and family gave my their change jars to live on. This turned out quite well for me actually. There's more money than you think in your change jar, and people don't look at it like a loan, because the amount is not set. My gramma gave me two big pickel jars full of change, ended up being about $400 bucks!! I was helping them move and she shoved the jars in my arms and said "Go put these in you car and don't tell grampa!" Gramma's Rock!
I have gotten very creative with my Ramen. I can make some good Ramen spaghetti. One small can of tomota sauce, some of those $0.99 cent spices that come in bags (garlic, oregano & basil) and one Ramen packet (leave out the spice packet for future use).
When people see me eating Ramen, they alwasy say the same things : Oh, I used to eat Ramen when I was... a kid; in college; my first apartment; in high school, etc, etc. Always in the past, never in the present. Like Ramen is some sort of stage you grow out of. Maybe I never grew out of it. But today, 28 years old with a mortgage, a business and an SUV, I still eat Ramen on a regualr basis. What does that say about me? I don't know if I care what is says about me. I like Ramen, Ramen is good, Ramen is my friend. Ramen Forever!!!
How do you like your Ramen?

No comments: