Saturday

Sincere Change of Heart

Today I had the blessing of going to a women's conference with my church. There were wonderful speakers and a beautiful lunch. One of the classes was entitled Straight from the Heart. I did not know what this class would be about, but felt prompted to go. I am so thankful that I listened to that prompting. The class was taught by a beautiful woman who is a foster parent. She and her husband are currently trying to adopt their 8th child and have been foster parents of 28 years. In that time, over 100 children have come through their home in the foster system. Most children are placed in foster care because their parents are on drugs and cannot or will not care for the children. Some are taken into protective custody because of abuse, and a small few are placed there because of the loss of one or both parents.
My husband and I have always felt the inclination that we should adopt children or be foster parents, though I had my reservations. I was worried that an adopted child would not relate well if we had a natural child. I was also concerned that foster children would be too hard to deal we with and that I would not be strong enough to fall in love with and care for a child only to see that child taken from me. I wanted to protect my heart and have the option to have a baby without worrying abut causing strife in my home. Basically, I was feeling selfish and scared. I got over those feelings today.
I now see that God has changed corporate policy, advanced timelines, rearranged financial obligations, bypassed legalities, softened hearts and moved mountains so that we can move to Charlotte, get our house in order and open our doors to foster children.
Our goals as of May 12th, 2007: Within 2 years we will have no debt except for a reasonable mortgage payment and will have completed all court required training and obligations to become foster parents for multiple children.
I see that this move is in preparation for these children to come into our home. There are children in this world today, perhaps being born today, waiting to come to our home. Our plan is to move and live on D's paycheck alone. My paycheck will go to debt reduction and savings for a down payment. In 1 year we will have all old business debt paid off and will have a very nice savings to look for a large house on a piece of property. The house will be at least 4 bedrooms with room to build on additions when the need arises. By the end of the second year we will have acquired all the furniture, car seats, clothes, strollers, diapers, supplies and whatever else we need to have children come and be able to provide for all of their needs. Many of these items we will get from garage sales, thrift stores and donations from friends and stores.
We will also have completed all court required training including CPR, health care and parenting classes. Our backgrounds will be thoroughly checked and our fingerprints taken. We will have registered with the county foster care program and will have researched all local, county and state resources available to foster parents and foster children. North Carolina has different laws than California and much research will need to be done. We will have to find advocate groups and get in touch with other foster parents to understand their experiences and be able to ask questions to when the time comes.
I see the future so clearly and know that this is the path we are meant to take. With God's help, we will make our home a sanctuary for these children who are in such desperate need. We will help them to learn to trust, we will help to heal their wounds and teach them of their great worth. We will teach them of their Saviour and His sacrifice and love for them. I thank God for His trust in me. He is trusting me with his most precious children and I am humbled that He chose me.

2 comments:

Shellee said...

I met the lady from straight from the heart when Jen was trying to adopt. She is the lady with the store in San Marcos right? I can't wait to be a foster mom. Dan and I are gong to wait until the kids get older. I am happy for you.

Brittany said...

You are such an inspirational person Emily. I am so proud of you and Day. You are doing such wonderful things with your life and I KNOW that Heavenly Father is so proud of where you are taking your lives. I will miss you a great deal, but cannot WAIT for your new lives to start!